Tuesday, June 8

Reagan holiday...

Dub-ya has declared Friday to be a national day of mourning. That means that I get a day off...and a three day weekend. Now, I am not a fan of Reagan's politics, but I do feel that the pageantry that surrounds his death is just what the country needs right now.

Much of the media coverage has centered on the fact that Reagan focused a lot of his efforts on positive aspects of US culture at a time when there was an emphasis on a negative past. Well, the same seems to be true in death. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are going to be taking time of their lives to honor this man. And, they will be able to distract themselves from the problems of the day, if only for a little while.

Tomorrow night, there will be a procession to bring his body to the Capital rotunda. And, although I am a democrat through and through, I think I will stick around after work to see it.

No comments: