Friday, June 18

beastie brouhaha...

Oh god, I am so tired. Yesterday was really a trial. I actually left work early to get in line to get into the show. I figured that there would be tons of people in line so they could get the best view even though doors didn't open until 6:30. Well, I got to the club at 4:15 and there were hardly 30 people in line. (it could have been the 90+ degree heat that kept people away) My BF met me at the club about 30 minutes later with food. Thankfully we live really close to the 9:30 club. About 30 minutes after that it started raining...actually pouring w/ thunder and lightening. Everyone was nice about the situation. The radio station/promo people were handing out juice and stuff.

They started letting people in at 6pm because another downpour was coming in. We got a really good view from the balcony -- what I like to call the too-old-to-be-young-too-young-to-be-old section. The Beasties were supposed to go on at 8:30 so we knew we had some waiting to do.

At about 8:30 the radio djs came on stage; the crowd was pumped; and they announced that they had some "good news and some bad news." So, the bad news was that the beastie boys couldn't get on their flight because New York airports shut due to weather. The good news was that they were on a train to DC and would be on stage at ~11:30! Well, being older than I like to admit I was kind of pissed. And, my BF had to be up at 4:30 in the morning to go to work. Argh. But, we decided to stick it out...

The Beastie Boys did show up! They went on stage a little after 11pm. They played for about 45-minutes with a good setlist. As usual, they did a solid show...with Mix Master Mike keeping them on their toes.

I was glad I saw their entire set, but I'm really disappointed with the arrangements. I guess I had assumed that they would have been in DC early that afternoon, if not the night before. I know that the shuttle from NYC is really quick but perhaps they were cutting it a little too close. I'd like to know how long the show would have been if it had started on time. Would we have gotten a full 2 hr set?

No comments: