Friday, July 2

just like old times...

Last night, I went to good ol' Ft. Reno to see Ted Leo. Seeing teens hanging out took me back to the days when I spent ever Monday and Thursday there during summer. They weren't all there to see the band, but to see friends and try to look cool...kind of like a lot of the nights I went there to hang out. In some ways it's like any other high school scene: which girls have the right clothes and hair?; do you think that guy notices me?; what's she doing here? And I used to play the game a little bit. I used to think that my friends were super-cool and could run the place (or at least our little territory).

But, the cool part really was the music. I got to hear a ton of cool, young local talent start out. It was the first place that I heard Trans Am, Velocity Girl, Unrest, and Ted Leo's former band -- Chisel. (Ah 1993 was a very good year for music in DC). The set that TL played last night really took me back. It was upbeat pop that really rocked. It made you want to jump around and bob your head...because, as my BF says, no one in DC dances. Although that may be true, DC kids (young and old) really know how to support the local scene...

1 comment:

Maya said...

I heart that tiny little punk rocker with his pretty voice. I'm jealous!