Thursday, May 13

an argument for marriage...

My BF's mother is in town this week. She is "d'un certain âge" and is prone to getting a bit emotional. She is staying with my BF's sister, so we went over to see her on Tuesday night. Once she had everyone gathered around -- My BF, his sister and boyfriend, his step-brother, and myself -- the conversation somehow moved to the topic of marriage. His mom has done this in the past, but not nearly such a hard sell.

Well, the conversation included some key catch phases, such as: "what's wrong with you boys?" and "you shouldn't keep stringing these girls along like that..." Well, I was really put off by this whole exchange. She looked at me as if she had just done me some big favor, getting the ball rolling. Well, she didn't! So I told her flatly that her son already knows how I feel about this topic and I tried to leave it at that. I tried to let her know that this wasn't a conversation that she should be having with me. She had every right to say these things to her children...but not with their significant others there!

It's not that the old-fashioned girl in me doesn't agree with some of what she's saying. For me, it just wasn't the time or the place. So, this is still bothering me 2 days later and I just needed to vent.

No comments: