Tuesday, January 18

done with school...

It's official...I have made the last payment on my student loans! And, even though my burden was a lot smaller than many of my fellow alum, I feel a sense of accomplishment.

My BF and I have argued at times about whether private universities are worth the money. I usually go with the argument that private universities are often able to provide financial aid in ways that some state schools cannot. Perhaps I feel that way because my university was very generous in helping me pay for my education, largely through private grants. I was also fortunate enough to get work-study as part of my aid package. These factors made NU very reasonable for my parents...Who, thankfully, only made me take on loans in my final year of school.

So, this week, I get to cross off one of my new year's resolutions and say good bye to my month loan payment. It's like I've graduated all over again!

1 comment:

Maya said...

Dude. Congrats!

NU gave me full tuition grants. I only had to take out money for living expenses (which still totaled $22K). Had I stayed in Cali and gone to Berkeley or UC Santa Cruz, I would have ended up borrowing about $40K, because my parents made too much money for me to get aid and too little to help me out with the cost of living in those cities. So, I think you're right, that private schools have more flexibility. They also can afford to hire better financial aid officers than public schools. I've watched my sister struggle to pay for school because the aid office is so understaffed and uncooperative. I had similar difficulties myself with paying for grad school.